[WIT Cohort 2] Discussion on Inbox Zero article

This thread is part of WIT Cohort 2 warmup activity.
Learners may read this article and share segments that picked most interest: [https://www.fastcompany.com/40507663/the-7-step-guide-to-achieving-inbox-zero-and-staying-there-in-2018](http://link to article)

[WIT Cohort 2] Q&A - Warmup activity

Managing my inbox had been a tedious task until now. The article “7 Step guide to achieving inbox zero” by JR Raphael did give me few tricks and strategies on how to organize my email well. All the seven points were informative. For me the 6th point that is CONSOLIDATE YOUR EMAIL-HANDLING SCHEDULE interested me.
I always had the trouble of being distracted by the number of email pop ups that come across while doing certain task. Sometimes i do try to neglect them and swipe it up but those important mails too fall by them which i do not notice much. There were few situations where i failed to see the mail and missed the schedule.
The idea of setting up prescribed time of the day to look through our mails is actually a good option and giving importance to priority mails so they do not fall unnoticed with the other mails. I did implement it into my mails and found it helpful.

For someone like me who juggles with three mail accounts, the article was heaven sent. Reading this article gave me an insight into how efficiently mails could be organized. All the seven steps have been explained in a pretty simple way which can be easily incorporated into our daily life.
The one step that hit too close to home was the fifth step. “Stop organising your mail,” it says. I’ve always been an avid organiser. The meticulous label-placing and folder-filing is something I do most of the times.

So you know what? As a wise virtual princess once said, let it go. Stop worrying about organizing all of your incoming email and just power through it.

So that’s exactly what I’m going to do. Let it go. Let the machines do the heavy lifting.

The article ‘The 7-Step Guide to achieving inbox zero-and staying there-in 2018’ by JR Raphael really did give me a new dimension in managing the email account. This article also proves that an inbox zero email account is an achievable thing.
The segment which I found very relevant is ‘Consolidate your email-handling schedule’, which focuses on picking a specific time to respond to all the emails and never peeking at our inbox other than that scheduled time. I think this is very important.

Study after study shows that switching tasks causes us to work less effectively and efficiently, with some research suggesting we lose as much as 40% of our productivity by hopping between multiple things. Opening up email is no exception.

The continuous email notifications that distract our work can be avoided by turning it off and creating custom notifications for the very important messages we don’t want to miss by any second.
Practising this won’t distract in our daily works nor miss out the important messages by automatically sliding the notification.

This article was really very informative. All the steps mentioned here are quite useful. For a person like me , two of the steps were very much relatable. The first one is ’ Send your time consuming clutter away’. In my inbox , there are only less than 20 % of emails that require a reply or something that I really need to know. So unsubscribing the unwanted ones is the first step to achieve a Zero inbox account.
And the second one is 'Stop organizing your mails ’ .This is something which is to be thought about. There is no point in organizing your emails for the easiness of finding them and wasting your time. Whenever you want to pick out a particular email , it would be enough to search for it in the search box.
This article was really cool and I loved it.

Managing my inbox has always been a tedious task and this article is very helpful in solving this issue. The main points which I found interesting and why include:

• To unsubscribe from every list-based email we get—unless we really, truly need it or benefit from receiving it. This is what everyone should definitely do because we get a lot of unwanted mails which takes most of our time in reading it.
  • To create filters that automatically place recurring messages from which we can’t easily unsubscribe.
  • To stop organizing our mails. Because devoting time to organizing documents into folders is a total waste as it is difficult to find it all when we need them.
  • To familiarize with our email app’s advanced search parameters.
  • To pick a handful of designated times throughout the day to deal with email.
  • To turn off email notifications and to create custom notifications that’ll alert you only about those highest-priority messages. This can help us to be productive with the rest of your day without the constant barrage of inbox-oriented interruptions.

For me checking my inboxes was one of the most tiresome tasks. I have 3 accounts on my own, but I’m active only in two accounts because I always get irritated with the popup notifications from my inboxes. Everyday morning when I switch on my phone this happens. There will be lots of emails from each account. The article ‘The 7-Step Guide to achieving inbox zero-and staying there-in 2018’ by JR Raphael was very useful to a girl like me who have no idea about how to manage my google accounts.

I’had lost many opportunities because I can’t identify them from the bundles of messages at the right time. So this article was very useful. The main segment I like about the article is the first Point itself.

Reframe The Way You Think About Your Inbox

In this segment, it’s given that

“1. If a message requires no action on your behalf, archive it immediately.
2. If a message requires a simple reply that you can knock out in a minute or less, respond right then and there—and then archive it immediately.
3. If a message requires some level of thought or response that you can’t get to right away, snooze it to a time and date when you will be able to handle it—whether it’s later that same day, sometime the following week, or on a Frid:grinning:ay two months down the road. That’ll get the message out of your way so it doesn’t serve as a constant source of distraction. And then it will reappear and grab your attention when the time is right.”

Actually, I’m going to do the same as above. I think this is the best solution for my tiresome task, and by using this trick we can prioritize the emails and handle the inbox easily.

A few months ago, I was agonizing over my inbox and couldn’t find the courage to clear up my inbox. Hence, I was very excited to read this article. Some of the things that I found particularly useful are -

• Archiving emails we do not need to see.
  • Creating filters and also the fact that we can snooze emails using Gmail Inbox App as well as the inbox switching feature. I’m going to download that app right away.
  • Replying to emails that do not need much thought instantly.
  • One of the points that took me by surprise was “Stop organising your mail”. I had started labeling my emails a few months ago. Some of the labels I used were Ticket Confirmations, Internship Mails, etc. This point got me thinking and I realized that I could drastically reduce the categories of labels and save time.
    This article was a great read! Learnt a lot!:slight_smile:

Seeing over a thousand mails unchecked in my inbox can be really disheartening and as a result important mails get lost in the clutter. This article has given me great tips on how I can manage my inbox so that mails that are important come to my attention.
Sections of the article I found interesting are:

Turning your inbox into a place for messages that actually require your attention, with less time-consuming clutter getting in the way.

This can be done my unsubscribing to group emails and spam for events and promotions.

Another segment which was a real eye-opener was:

Pick a handful of designated times throughout the day to deal with email—maybe mid-morning, after lunch, and late afternoon—and then stop peeking at your inbox outside of those windows.

This is something I will really apply and I’m sure its great advice.

On the whole, this was a well-written to the point article which is something I think everyone should read as it helps you take a step back and wonder “why didn’t I think of that”.

The 7-Step Guide to achieving inbox zero-and staying there-in 2018’ by JR Raphael is really very helpful article for someone who finds it hard to manage their mail inbox, like for me there are 4 mailing accounts sometimes it becomes little difficult to handle all of them as spamming is very common these days. Here comes the role of this article as it gives few tips and tricks on how to organize email well.
The main segment I like about the article is the 3rd point which is STOP WRITING THE SAME STUFF OVER AND OVER yeah I too have this bad habit of writing or responding with the same message to many emails, this article suggests to create a template and use it this way you can save your time .So here’s the fix: Stop repeating yourself. Almost every email service has some sort of system for creating and using templates. Take 10 minutes to create templates for all of your recurring messages, then take care of all future instances with a two-second click.

The article is very helpful . Managing mail is for me of course​ a tedious task.
The most interesting sections of the article are
Don’t repeat the same stuff over and over again…I had that habit and I had been wasted too much of my time. but from today I will create a template for this.

Then about Don’t organizing the mail…It’s also great​ helpful.whenever you want a mail just search it.

This article is very relvent because we are all using mail in daily basis.

There are so many take away points from the article which are so simple to excecute . It is always said to say no to the unwanted likeways just archive or unsusbcribe the mail you see worthless is the main keypoint to be noted first. Similarly there were much noticeable points that we could follow for a good looking email as well.Emails had become a routine part like messages and how a perfect email looks like is the best article to read .

Never open an email twice, and never leave an email in your inbox beyond a single day.

`That was the main thing which I understood more beneficial for me .

Take a few minutes to create custom notifications that’ll alert you only about those highest-priority messages.

I had also got a clear cut idea on how to start and end an email which was my main problem I had faced during writing emails . Anyway I will be applying the whole ideas and transform the format which I was supposed to do till now .

Turning your inbox into a place for messages that actually require your attention, with less time-consuming clutter getting in the way.

For every email you encounter, choose from the following fast-triage options:

1. If a message requires no action on your behalf, archive it immediately.
  2. If a message requires a simple reply that you can knock out in a minute or less, respond right then and there—and then archive it immediately.
  3. If a message requires some level of thought or response that you can’t get to right away, snooze it to a time and date when you will be able to handle it—whether it’s later that same day, sometime the following week, or on a Friday two months down the road. That’ll get the message out of your way so it doesn’t serve as a constant source of distraction. And then it will reappear and grab your attention when the time is right.

I found all of these tips very useful, for a person who is busy and gets lots of emails

The article on Inbox article which something that really imparted some life-saving hacks. I not only read but also implemented quite a few of them and I really feel that it has helped me.
Some of the segments I really appreciated :

*That we should not be peeping in our emails every now and them. We should have a specific time of the day allocated for that.

• No message should be opened twice. We should complete the task required to be done with the mail once and for all.

• My favorite one: Creating templates! It saves time and energy and is such an efficient approach!

Thank You:)

A very informative article by J R Raphael. The most interesting tip from the article I observed is
CONSOLIDATE YOUR EMAIL-HANDLING SCHEDULE

I always get distracted with email notifications from say for example Pinterest and Medium when doing some important work. This was a different piece of information.

This article on Inbox Zero has provided me with great insight into using emails efficiently. For instance, the hierarchy recommended to follow, for replying to emails is very useful. Postponing the work for a later time can be streamlined through the employ of the native snooze option present in the Inbox app. It also recommends creating templates for the usual messages so as to save time and effort in recreating the same. The article also instructs people to stop wasting effort in the pointless act of decluttering and instead make use of the several advanced parameters present in Gmail and Inbox. It also refers to several studies regarding interruptions and productivity and suggested turning off notifications for emails and checking them at a later time, but then setting custom notifications regarding important messages. It was definitely a great read.

The article is so relatable.I always had trouble managing my emails.The number used to increase day by day and I used to miss lots of notifications.I thought of organizing this but it seemed to take up a lot of time.So now this is what Iam going to do:

In the virtual world of email, however, that same system has turned into a time-wasting shackle. The fastest way to find an old email is almost always by searching—and consequently, clinging onto a dated method of meticulous label-placing and folder-filing is giving yourself extra work for no real reason.

So you know what? As a wise virtual princess once said, let it go. Stop worrying about organizing all of your incoming email and just power through it.

The article is really interesting.Managing inbox is really a tedious task. there are thousands of messages in email. Sometimes we loose some important messages. The most interesting tip is Reframe the way you think about inbox. In this we divide message based on the importance.if it is not important just archive it. If a simple reply is required then just give a reply , it just take a couple of minutes. If the answer requires some time, then pin it. It is really a good tip.

The article on Inbox Zero is really a usefull one regarding the way you should approach the mails. The hierarchy it had mentioned proved to be the right one on the very first sight. Here we can distinguish and arrange the mails based on their priority. The article recommends to make templates for the usual mails so that we don’t have to waste time for creating similar one. It mentions the importance of not leaving any work pending, which is very important. This article is a must read for every professionals as this helps them to keep a order for their mails.

The article is super beneficial. Usually for me managing my inbox is the most tedious task. so, for me this is super useful.
some key takeaways:

1. If a message requires no action on your behalf, archive it immediately.
  3. Unsubscribe from every mail list unless its useful for us. You can stay away from unwanted messages or spam.
  4. To familiarize with our email app’s advanced search parameters.
  5. Turn off notifications for those messages that aren’t really important.